Friday, July 23, 2010

Bloggers Challenge 161

This week blog mom Lisa challenged us to use something recycled. One of my favorite things to recycle in my art is a diet Coke can. They make wonderful metal panels and are easy to work with. I cut down the side and then work around to remove the top and bottom. I run the remaining rectangle panel once through the wizard to flatten it and it becomes a workable panel. [OK, use a little care so you don't cut yourself.] On the metal panel I used the Faux Etched Copper technique from the current Technique Junkies newsletter and my gears embossing folder.  For the second panel, I used stamps from the Artistic Outpost  set Steampunk to create a collage. The Steampunk theme went so well with the metallic gears panel. I painted the entire collage with Antique Silver paint from Creative Inspirations. I thought it fit right in with the Steampunk images. It gives the images a real shimmery metallic look. The embellishments are from my recycled junk bin in the basement. And believe me, searching through that bin shows my true dedication to my art.
I can't wait to see what everyone else has created.

13 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

The Gears folder is just perfect for that SteamPunk look, and works wonderfully with the Artistic Outpost plate! Great recycled project!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

A diet coke can...what a fabulous idea Barbara!!! This turned out wonderfully! :D

Basement Stamper said...

Oh, I have enough of those around the house-that is fabulous!!! Love how it turned out.

Stampin in the suburbs said...

Wow - I would have never guessed that this beautiful card creation was once a diet coke can!!! I have never played with metal on my cards but I could take one of my empty DC cans and give it a try! Great idea!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

I really love this artwork, Barbara. Looks so excellent. I love using Coke cans for panels. As well, they are wonderful for creating die cut flowers. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous piece! Hugs, Gayle.

Tami Black said...

This is so pretty but no one will believe it is from recycled stuff -- it looks too good! And who thinks of using this stuff anyway -- I certainly didn't! Love the creativity of this project!

Claudia Perry said...

WAY, WAY cool idea. Love the colors too.

Clara said...

WOW....I'm so impressed with your recycled work of art! I would never have thought of cutting up a can and using it on a card. Wonderful card!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love this fantastic card! I love the technique- on a Coke can...I have got to try this. Love the steampunk stamps too! TFS

Lisa Bohler said...

I had to search to even identify the can...terrific piece of art!!! Wonderfully done!

Ida said...

Wow! What a creative use of a Coke can. Turned out awesome.

Connie Fossenier said...

Love what you did with the metal and Steam Punk Plate...a perfect match for masculine card....love the grunge look.
connie paxman

Marilyn SanClemente said...

What a great recycle!! Love the textured look!